So your back hurts. Maybe it hurts a little and maybe it hurts a lot, but if you’re reading this then your pain is probably interfering with your life at [Read More...]
Our Clinic is the Leader in Evaluation and Treatment of Scoliosis in Colorado
Scoliosis is a complex condition that affects as many as 7 million people in the United States alone. The condition refers to a curvature in the spinal column. In most cases, this is a lateral curve from side to side that can occur in various parts of the spine, but this condition affects more than just the spinal column. Our integrated Scoliosis clinic is completely focused on effectively evaluate and get to reducing the patients’ Scoliosis curves.
What Is Scoliosis?
It is important to realize that Scoliosis is not a disease, but rather a medical term that is used to describe any type of abnormal, sideways curvature of the spine. Scoliosis can refer to a spine that is shaped like the letter C, a backward letter C or the letter S.
In children, the most common type of scoliosis is idiopathic scoliosis or scoliosis with no known cause. In adults, degenerative scoliosis, or a curvature of the spine which occurs as the result of degeneration of the facet joints, is most common.
While the exact cause of idiopathic scoliosis is unknown, it is important to note that it is not caused by activities like sports, exercise, carrying or lifting heavy objects. Scoliosis also does not occur as the result of sleeping in the wrong position or minor differences in the length of the legs.
In children and young adults, the degree of scoliosis curve is known to worsen as the spine continues to grow. Degenerative, or adult-onset, scoliosis also tends to worsen over time, so early treatment is advised.
If you’re suffering from symptoms associated with Scoliosis but you’re not sure of treatment options are even the severity of your case, please fill out our complementary Patient Assessment to see what type of treatment options we would suggest to you. Find the assessment here: Patient Assessment.
Scoliosis Treatment Using The Schroth Method
Unfortunately, there is no one magic treatment for Scoliosis. In order to successfully treat this debilitating condition, it is necessary to customize the treatment based upon the specific needs of each individual. At Denver Physical Medicine & Rehab, our team of Doctors, Physical therapists, and medical professionals specialize in the Schroth Method for scoliosis and Pilates for Scoliosis. We have been the Scoliosis specialist for Colorado and surrounding states for over 14 years. We have been effectively reducing scoliosis curves with our Scoliosis specialists and preventing surgery.
The Schroth Method for Scoliosis, is a physical therapy approach specifically designed to treat Scoliosis. This is an extremely effective non-surgical option safe for all ages and has the sole purpose of returning the spine to its natural position using physical exercises. Our Schroth Scoliosis Therapist will evaluate each patient personally and recommend exercises tailored to what you need. Make no mistake, this is not a one-size-fits-all therapy. It’s a treatment that addresses the unique spine curvatures of each person suffering from scoliosis. We work with several Scoliosis Orthopedic doctors in the area to cumulatively treat scoliosis and for effective results. We treat a patient from the age of 6 years old and our oldest patient treated was 82 years of age. We have seen over 10000+ scoliosis cases in our clinic.
Our dynamic approach focuses on restoring muscular symmetry and making you aware of your posture throughout the day. Not only do we help treat you in our office, we provide you with particular exercises to do at home to improve this degenerative condition. In addition to us treating scoliosis, we offer the only true custom 3D Scoliosis Brace that is geared to stabilize the progression of Scoliosis. Don’t wait another second for this to worsen. Take back your life and allow us to develop a fully customized Scoliosis treatment plan for you.
Schroth Method for Scoliosis Goals of treatment
Patients incorporating the Schroth Method for Scoliosis into their lives can expect a few, many, or all of the following:
- Spinal stabilization and better balance via improved body mechanics
- Halt scoliosis curve progression – in adolescents we strive for a reduction in scoliosis curve
- Improve lung capacity via corrective breathing and active rib mobilization
- Relieve or reduce pain from scoliosis
- Improve strength and flexibility
- Prevent or avoid surgery
- Improve postural appearance
- Learn to maintain spinal corrections during patients’ daily activities
- Empowerment gave the knowledge and tools to manage one’s own unique scoliosis
- For Post-Surgical Scoliosis patients, the Schroth Method helps to improve posture and create stability above and below the fused spinal segments
Schroth Method for Scoliosis benefits in our Denver Clinic
Schroth Method for scoliosis in our clinic is made simpler and easier, yet still efficient and result orientated. Back-school instruction remains according to individual-curve pattern and the scoliosis-specific exercises still incorporate Schroth Method exercises.
- Patients learn self-correction according to their curvature in all sorts of daily activities (ADLs). They learn which postures are favorable and unfavorable and why.
- Outpatient programs with a proven track record.
- Sagittal plane exercises, exclusive to Schroth Method for Scoliosis, are validated by recent research.
- Schroth Scoliosis Method exercises are simple, powerful, effective and conveniently done at home.
- Fewer props make patient compliance for better results.
- Schroth Method is used for enhanced muscle engagement.
- Scoliosis curve specific exercises for each patient.
- Gait training incorporates curve pattern corrective movements while walking.
- Mobilizations are taught, for increased flexibility and range of motion.
- Schroth Scoliosis method exercises have been found to positively impact self-esteem.
- Schroth Method for Scoliosis is a more user-friendly program for active, integrated scoliosis management.
Schroth method for Scoliosis treatments for scoliosis include sagittal plane exercises, activities of daily living exercises, and mobilizations are the first line of defense. They are relatively easy to learn and offer a proactive and viable alternative to the prevailing tenet of ‘watch and wait’.
Once Schroth scoliosis treatment components are learned, patients begin practicing rotational angular breathing or “Schroth breathing” with simplified exercises.
Schroth Method for Scoliosis succeeds in helping the spine shift into an over-corrected position (encouraging curve reduction) and challenging the core. Elongation and over-correction mean that more muscles (that support the trunk) are being engaged.
If you are suffering from Scoliosis in Colorado, don’t wait for the condition to get worse. Call Denver Physical Medicine & Rehab today at 303-757-7280 to schedule your free initial consultation with our Schroth Scoliosis Specialist.