Do You Suffer From Back Pain? Check Out These Scary Back Pain Facts!
Halloween is the time of year for all things scary. Zombies, ghosts, and monsters provide thrills throughout the season, but for many Americans, there’s something even scarier that doesn’t go away after October 31st – back pain.
Back pain plagues just about everyone at one time or another. While some cases are minor, others lead to disability and have a major impact on the sufferer’s life. Check out these scary back pain facts:
Scary Facts About Back Pain
Multiple studies have shown that pain in the lower back is the leading cause of disability worldwide. It’s also a leading cause of missed work and the second most common reason for seeing a doctor. Here are a few other alarming back pain facts:
- Each year, half of all working Americans report experiencing back pain.
- Up to 80% of the population experiences back pain at some point.
- 90% of people who seek treatment for their back pain never learn the primary cause of their symptoms.
- Back pain usually isn’t caused by serious underlying conditions, such as arthritis, fracture, etc.
- Lower back pain is becoming increasingly common, especially among those 65 and older.
How to Prevent Back Pain
Considering how common back pain is, you may think there’s little you can do it avoid it. While it’s nearly impossible to avoid all the potential causes of back pain, there are several ways to minimize your risk.
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Unless your chiropractor or physical therapist tells you otherwise, stay active.
- Lift with your knees, not your back.
- Stretch prior to engaging in physical activity.
- Make sure your desk or workstation is ergonomically correct.
- Maintain good posture.
- Seek treatment for even minor back injuries.
At Denver Physical Medicine, we’re here to help patients suffering from all degrees of back pain. Whether you’re experiencing minor discomfort or debilitating pain, we’ll get to the root of what’s causing your pain and find an effective solution. Our team offers a full range of physical therapy, chiropractic, and medical treatment, and we pride ourselves on providing safe and individualized back pain treatment.
Whether you’ve suffered an injury or you’re dealing with back pain with no known cause, contact Denver Physical Medicine today to schedule a consultation. Even if you don’t have any symptoms, we can help you avoid future problems. Call 303-757-7280